Friday, September 18, 2009

PhotoStory is WAY cool!

In class this week, we learned about PhotoStory for Windows and I was immediately enthralled by this awesome tool! As we went through the steps and features of PhotoStory, I couldn't help but "oooh" and "ahh"--I was very impressed and the more I experimented with this tool, the more comfortable I felt using it. I can easily imagine myself incorportating PhotoStory with students. Students and teachers alike would be able to use PhotoStory for a variety of purposes: projects, lessons, books, art, history, the list could go on and on. I thought that it was fantastic that Airforcewife got to see PhotoStory used first hand at her PDS school. Airforcewife mentioned that the librarian used PhotoStory to create an introduction to the library rather than give a long drawn out speech to the students; simply a terrific, engaging, and efficient display of all that the library has to offer to help get students get excited rather than bore them to tears by saying, "Over there is fiction and then all the way over there is nonfiction.."

Ultimately, I think I will try to first use PhotoStory first before I consider using a PowerPoint. Not to knock good ole PowerPoint, but jeez, PhotoStory seems to be the filet mignon of adding photos, narration, effects, transitions and background music for a presentation.

As an avid watcher of the History Channel, I immediately recognized the the Ken Burns Effect, although I was not aware of the name of that technique until class. The Ken Burns Effect is truly the essence behind PhotoStory-in my opinion, it's what makes PhotoStory unlike any other slideshow/digital presentation. This technique involves a pan-and-scan effect used in video production from still imagery. This allows photos to be zoomed in upon and panned across so the audience can have a more intimate portrayal of people, events, and scenery in photos in a way that it feels like you're watching a movie rather than simply looking at a photograph.

I think PhotoStory is engaging on many different levels, from it's aesthetics, usefulness, efficiency, easy navigation, and features in which students can utilize their imaginations and creativity to conjure up a presentation they can be proud of but also display their knowledge to teachers and their classmates in a format that is fun and interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Meredith, I love your comment on how Photo Story is the filet mignon compared to PowerPoint. It is 100% true. I am so glad that we learned about this tool because my CF has never heard about it and I am going to complete a digital story dealing with the classroom rules. This is extremely similar to the librarian's introduction to the library. I feel that students would pay more attention because it is on the TV or computer and, unfortunately, kids are attuned to these forms of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only a filet mignon of slideshow creators, but it cooks as fast as those minute steak subs. Using PowerPoint for a slideshow maker is torture compared to Photostory.

    I'm glad you like the Ken Burns effect- it does make historical pictures seem like video.

    ReplyDelete